Friday, January 30, 2009

Mid Winter Windex Blues

I've got that organization bug again. I swear, it hits this time every year. I think its like the flu or something. It must incubate with the cold weather and the Christmas decorating and then it blooms into a full blown illness that compels its victim to empty drawers, clean closets, organize and sort junk and clear clutter. All of this leads to the familiar symptoms of fatigue, and finally exhaustion. Unfortunately without this annual illness, many of us might end up buried under some pile of junk somewhere in our home or office.
So -- I'm working on taking baby steps. I want to satisfy the deep-seated drive to clean, de-clutter, and organize without getting myself into that awful state of sleep-deprivation, crankiness and exhaustion. That's the plan anyway.
First off, I got myself a cute little laptop desk and begged my husband to put it together for me. (I'm going to know that I've arrived when none of my furniture required assembly!). It fits in a little corner of our family room, over past the woodstove and out of the way. This is actually a photo of the one I got. It has the little cubbies along the top and the surface slides out to almost double the work space when you're using it. Underneath is a cabinet with a shelf in it and doors that close (priority #1 when clutter is an issue). It was cute, it was very inexpensive, it was perfect (okay, okay --- my husband, who put it together, has a different opinion about its perfect-ness). This weekend, I want to start organizing and getting things together for it.
Second task will be my desk at work. (YIKES!!) This is scary. I have one file drawer that I cannot even remember the last time I opened it. The piles need to go. The bookshelf needs to look like a bookshelf again. I want to actually see the surface of the little side-desk. The computer screen needs to be cleaned. I might even swap around some of my bins, drawers, and organizers to create a uniform color set for my desk (What a concept!) I was completely inspired by Christie at A Journey Through Thick and Thin. She did an amazing re-organization of a desk area in her home. Its beautiful. She didn't spend a fortune. I love it. Go to her blog and check it out if you like. I think you'll find it inspiring too.
And finally, I want to find an organizing system for my work stuff in the car. I'm finding the its easiest and best when my coupon crate simply "lives" in the backseat. I can immediately call up any coupon I need or want, run into the store, and VOILA --- a deal is born. I want some kind of a car desk/office system to keep this all from ending up looking like I live in my car. I'm looking for something along these lines (but without spending all that money --- these are expensive!) We'll see what I come up with.
So --- how has the mid-winter cleaning and organizing bug hit you?? Make a plan. Take it slow and easy. Your grandmother was right --- Haste makes waste --- and we know we're too frugal for that.

No comments: