Sunday, April 12, 2009

Supermarket Excursions: How I Save and Even Make Money at the Grocery Store too!!

I don't usually post my supermarket excursions -- but a few of you have asked specifically for them. This may get frustrating --- you all live in very different areas of NE with different supermarkets to work with. I shop both at home and in my work area --- so I shop a wide variety of markets (which you may or may not have). And just to frustrate everyone further -- I don't shop in the same markets every week.
Here's what I do:
  1. I sit down with each of the fliers from the markets that are available to me (that would be Price Chopper, Stop and Shop, Shaws, Big Y, Shop Rite, and A&P). I make lists of what's in the fliers that interests me and the prices
  2. As if find an item in another flier that is a better deal than where I first wrote it down, I cross it off the previous list and add it to the new list.
  3. I am a complete Slickdeals addict. After I've looked through the fliers and formed a tentative idea of what the deals are --- I go to Slickdeals and read through the forums quickly (some of them are very active lists) to see what I might have missed and to get my coupon matches started.
  4. Finally I use a database such as CouponMom's to double check for coupons to match my list.

Each week, I'm looking for deals on fresh produce, dairy and other things that are difficult to stockpile. I'm also on the lookout for free food!! If the free food is something that my family enjoys eating, it goes home and in the stockpile in our pantry. If not, then it comes home and goes to the food pantry to help feed people who need food. (I am a huge proponent of being generous with the time and skill of couponing!!)

My pantry is usually very well stocked with staples such as pasta, tuna, beans, dried fruit, flour, oil, rice, etc. Most of these were either FREE or at a very, very low cost. I plan our eating for the week around the staples in my pantry and the deals on fresh produce, dairy, and the occasional meat.

So --- by popular demand --- I'll begin posting my shopping lists for the supermarkets I'm working with that week (remember -- not all markets every week -- can you imagine the time it would take??)

No comments: