Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How Do I Organize It?

The "it" in this case is all of the coupons and stuff ---- a few of you have asked me to be more explicit about this ---- so here goes.

First ---- I use the Coupon Mom system for dealing with the flyers each week. They come in the newspaper each Sunday. I pull them out of the paper and put them in a file folder marked with just the date. So coupons from this coming Sunday will be in a folder marked 4/26. That's it!! I'm done. I don't look at them. I don't sort them. I don't cut them out. Nothing. Just file them by the date. Later on when my mother-in-law gives me a pile of inserts that she's been saving for me, I'll file each of them in the appropriate folder. (Hint: the date is printed in super teeny-tiny print along the spine of the insert) I keep a file crate (the cheapie kind from Staples) with all of the folders in order by date.

Next --- I have some coupons that have come from other places. Those need to be dealt with as well. I have a folder marked All You for the coupons that come from that magazine. Another folder marked Shaws (they tend to have a lot of store coupons and booklets) and another marked CVS for the Beauty Book coupons from them.
I also have a zippered binder filled with photo inserts and money collecting inserts (from a hobby shop). I've put tabs on them with general categories: hair, dental, cosmetics, snacks, beverages, etc. The loose coupons that come from all sorts of places go in these. These are the coupons from the blinkie machines in the supermarket, from tearpads in the drugstore or supermarket, from the boxes of products I've already purchased, peelies, and other assorted places. This is also where coupons end up if I've clipped them for a deal and then I don't do the deal for some reason.

Finally, I have a little zippered notebook that was meant to hold a calendar/organizer. I got it for a few dollars at an odd lot store. I've thrown away the calendar stuff and filled it with pocket inserts and business card holder sheets from Staples.
Each store I frequent has its own page. The business card holders keep all of my cards (each of the supermarkets has its own card, plus CVS --- its too many to manage in my wallet). The little pocket insert holds any rewards from the store that I need to remember to use (ECBs, RegisterRewards, catalinas). The other side of the pocket is where I put the coupons that I'll need for that store for the week.

Once a week, I sit down and make my lists from all of the stuff I find on the internet and from the flyers the stores provide. I'm experimenting right now with a cut and paste operation into a Publisher document that gives me a little booklet that fits right into my little notebook. I'm not sure I'm liking it --- it often isn't giving me enough space and it comes out in a font too tiny to read sometimes. I used to do it by hand on a folded piece of paper with columns down the side to keep track of money going out and coming back to me (ECBs etc again). We'll see which method will stick. My list goes into my little notebook and travels with me through the week. Then I pull the coupons from my big file (that 's why the date is generally posted with the shopping list. Its posted like that on most every site around the web on this topic -- the few who don't provide the date are more frustrating than they're worth) --- I stick the coupons into the appropriate pocket of my little organizer ---and I'm good to go!!

No comments: