Monday, January 22, 2007

My Bedroom


I've been in my usual January frenzy of cleaning out, re-organizing, re-decorating and such. Its part of my annual routine. Every year, as I clean up the Christmas decorations, sweep up the pine needles, and pack it all away, I have this deep urge for a fresh new look about the house. I know that spring is still far away and I'm not ready to invest either major time or major money into this re-do project, but I need the change. I need my house to feel new again. I need surprises that delight my senses every time I walk into the room.
Right now I'm working on my bedroom. I dug out some of the remnant fabric that I'd hoarded and stitched up an easy duvet cover so that my old comforter has a fresh new life. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the project was. All straight seams and nice long seams too... that always goes quickly. The pattern called for buttons and fabric loops as buttonholes, but that was more than I was willing to do. I used simple velcro dots to close up the end of it. It works nicely and I'm quite happy with it. The green paisley fabric gives a deeper, more sophisticated look to the bed now.
Next, I replaced the balloon shades that I had under the curtains with some very simple Roman shades. Again, my stash of hoarded remnants came to the rescue. For this, I had a Buttercream General Store Stripe from Waverly at my disposal. Under the yellow floral curtains they add just the right pop to the windows. The Roman shades were almost as easy as the duvet cover. I had to invest in some skinny dowels to give the shade a shape as it rises and closes, but that was only a few dollars at the local hardware store.
So, now I'm looking hard at the furniture arrangement. I'm looking for ideas about how I want to arrange the furniture so that the rooms looks new and inviting. I want it to whisper to me when I walk in "come in, come in, rest, enjoy".
My current focus is the footboard end of the bed. I have a large upholstered bench that has long sat there. In my previous (single) life, my white wicker loveseat had that spot for itself. That loveseat is now part of the front porch collection and has been banned from the house itself as "too girly" by the male inhabitants here (funny, it doesn't bother them at all on the porch, they rather seem to enjoy it)
But I'm thinking about using something different this time... something less expected, maybe. I've thought about positioning my little writing desk at the end of the bed. It looks sweet there, but I'm a little concerned that I'll be continually knocking things off of it in the night. The other look that calls to me right now is a skirted round table (you know, the cheapy decorator rounds from the discount store) with my two slipper chairs (stolen back from the guest room) on either side. I think if might look sweet.
I'm also thinking that it might beckon us for a little tete-a-tete, drinks (mugs of tea or cocoa maybe?) before bed, but it could still also be clear for the actual nighttime sleeping (so nothing is in danger of crashing to the floor in the middle of the night).
After all, as much as the Budget Bon Vivant wants the fantastic decorator look ---- I do have to be practical after all.

No comments: